Friday, February 09, 2007

True Colours

Only quite recently I’ve discovered for myself the wonders of YouTube.

Yes, a little late, but better late than never as they say.

It’s funny (no, not the laugh out loud kind of ‘funny’. As the insightful sister of mine pointed out, “funny” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a laughing matter) my daily life seems to center around The Oprah Winfrey Show.

ALOT.

From spectacular new discoveries of life, to delicious recipes, it’s ‘everything Oprah’ these days.

“I know! It’s like what Oprah said-..”

*Gasp* “Seriously?! Oprah was saying that-..”

Well, you catch my drift.

What’s strangely amusing is that after my post on self hatred, I seem to have come across countless Oprah shows on the related matter.

One particular show, there was something Dr. Robin said that made me sit up in my chair. She mentioned how someone you’re in a relationship with, often your spouse, tends to express to you verbally, or physically, what your ‘inner self’ is telling you.

Confused? Don’t be. Here, let me explain;

A lady that came on during the show had gained 100 pounds after two failed marriages and now, her 3rd husband verbally abuses her; constantly calling her a fat arse and telling her that there’s no way she’s good enough for anyone else.

But words can’t hurt us unless we believe them.


Exactly the point Dr. Robin was making. Because all that was said to this poor lady verbally by her mean husband was what she was, ever so often, telling herself.

Now that is an A-HA! moment.

Its amazing how important it really is to attain self acceptance and find peace within yourself. Did you know that a mothers ‘psychological pain’ can somewhat be ‘transferred’ to her child? Not only that, it tends to magnify and blow out of proportion too.

I couldn’t help but think..

“Great, not only do I have to stop hating myself so my husband wouldn't 'express' it towards me, now I’ve even got to worry about what emotional scars I may pass on to my children??”


Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy..

2 Comments:

At 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep Shahira. there's no good reason for hating yourself.
Aaand Dr. Robin just gave you another one too!

When you have kids, we should probably remind each other of the things we vowed not to do. Then maybe, they wont inherit our defects eh. And so we wont repeat those things we dont like

I'll tell your husband too ;P (hope that's the right emoticon thingy...)

waa cool. I [sorta] want my life to have Oprah included during my lunch breaks!

Daydreams so good ya? That and an MP3 would make the journey to college more fulfilling.

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yelah.. but sometimes in the 'heat of the moment' (waa sounds kinda kinky, err..anyway) you forget that you actually need a reason.

Oh man.. we've definitely gotta do that. I sure hope the BOTH of us won't forget though. Short memory span here, so counting on you to remember!

Haha, will tell yours as well!(btw, good job, right emoticon. thingy)

Yeaaaaaaaaa, really good. It's amazingly soothing.

We NEED an mp3!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home